Investment Principles, Practices & Process
Our Three Investment Principles
Our investment process is rooted in these timeless principles:
FAITH – in the future. We believe in the steady upward trend of U.S. and global businesses over the long-term, and in the human desire to prosper. This is the only world view that fits squarely with history.
PATIENCE – to stay with a well-designed long-term plan, even in a culture focused on immediate gratification. The rewards of compounded interest and growth come to those who are willing to wait.
DISCIPLINE – to follow rigorous, but not rigid, standards. We believe that qualitative factors (experience, consistency, transparency) drive quantitative results.
Our Three Investment Practices
Our investment policy will always follow these standards:
PROPER ASSET ALLOCATION – is more than a pie chart. It addresses liquidity needs, tax implications, risk controls, and the growth components required to maintain or increase your standard of living over time.
DETAILED DIVERSIFICATION – provides fine-tuning to ensure that all investments work in harmony within a portfolio to meet its overall objectives. Diversification can avoid concentration and overlaps (too many eggs in one basket), mute portfolio volatility (market ups and downs), and potentially enhance returns over time.
REBALANCING – supports the philosophy of buying low and selling high by trimming recent market successes and purchasing out-of-favor assets for the next opportunity. Done systematically and unemotionally year after year, rebalancing can capture opportunities and protect a portfolio from undue risk.
Our Investment Process
Our investment process (known as “ASSURE”) involves five disciplined & repeatable steps:
- AIM – We begin with your goals. We always start with the end in mind.
- SAFEGUARD – How much liquidity will give you confidence? We create or verify access to emergency funds, then determine a required withdrawal rate (if needed) from the portfolio. We strive to create solutions that provide for at least 75% of desired cash flow coming from guaranteed or consistent sources.
- SELECT – We then choose the appropriate asset classes to use, keeping in mind those investments that have the best chance of meeting your goals given our understanding of historical and likely future performance. Where appropriate, we incorporate non-traditional investments to manage risk.
- UNCOVER – We continue to look for new opportunities that may enhance diversification in the portfolio, hedge risk, or meet newly-identified income needs. This may include considering out-of-favor investments that have positive prospects in the longer-term. If further income needs develop, we transition growth vehicles to investments with more guarantees to meet cash flow needs.
- REVISIT EVERYTHING – Portfolio construction is an iterative process. We continually research, re-evaluate, and rebalance your portfolio to keep it running smoothly toward achieving your goals, even as they change over time.
*Note: Asset allocation does not ensure a profit or protect against a loss. There is no guarantee that a diversified portfolio will enhance overall returns or outperform a non-diversified portfolio. Diversification does not protect against market risk. There is no assurance that these techniques are suitable for all investors or will yield positive outcomes. Rebalancing a portfolio may cause investors to incur tax liabilities and/or transaction costs and does not assure a profit or protect against a loss.